Welcome to JZX World Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JZX World Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of JZX World Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Name sake?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nitrous36

nitrous36

a.k.a the chaser

• Standard member Members
  • 80 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 18h 53m 32s
  • Car:Ford

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

As you know, the X platform came in 3 different flavors. Chaser, Mark II and Cresta. Of which the Chaser is the most commonly recognized, known, and is the most popular.

To the average joe whose just learning about these awesome cars or anyone with a passing knowledge of them, theyre all "Chasers". Obviously this isnt a problem for chaser owners lol. But what about the other 2/3rds in the X crowd? For the MarkII/Cresta owners does this annoy you?

I know its just semantics and theyre all "the same car" really. But it used to annoy me at first. For example my importer(a notable skyline guy) refers to me as "the chaser guy" even though its a markII and he knows it. My friend who Ive told many times Im bringing over a markII calls it and all of them chasers, despite me correcting him at first. To his credit he's ADD and doesnt fully listen lol. So I think its enough he's fascinated with these cars. Especially him being more of a truck, exotic and luxury car guy.

Ive given up and just go with it when them or anyone else says chaser. I know what they mean so just go alone. And I think its funny. Anyone else have this problem(if you can call it that) or dealt with this?

Edited by nitrous36, 05 March 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#2 Genuine ROTA

Genuine ROTA

Underboss

• Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter
  • 1040 posts
    • Time Online: 83d 5h 56m 2s
  • Interests:I like to do things
  • Car:I drive a car
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

Im the same with mine. When I first bought my first X110 people used to say it was a chaser even though that name died with the x100. I find it is just the easiest way to tell people what type of car it is.

I say it's a chaser and they go oh is that a newer model. It generally makes it easier than trying to explain what a Mark II is. Especially when there isn't really a notable Mark I.

#3 nitrous36

nitrous36

a.k.a the chaser

• 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:35 PM

Yeah these cars are not as common as the obvious Skyline/Supra/Silvia. So if anyone knows of the Chaser and calls them all that, then they know more than most people. I just take it. Its like the gun people that call magazines clips. Theres a difference, but you know what they mean so you just go with it.

#4 FillerNootch

FillerNootch

Lackey

• 22 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 7h 5m 40s
  • Car:Mark II

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:27 AM

I was in the same boat with my r33 Skyline, For some reason everyone thinks they are GT-R and AWD..... Who would want to own a GTS-T anyways ?? :P Very annoying indeed ! Try telling someone you have a Silvia or a 180sx ... In Canada It's all 240sx here and even my Ecr33 is mixed up for a zenki 240 sometimes.

As for the X chassis I think its pretty rare that a car company will use the same frame for 3 different cars. Its not just the name changing from JDM to USDM like a Aristo/Gs or a Soarer/SC from the toyota / Lexus brand. I was a bit lost at first looking for parts online but it was my love for the specific Mark II Kouki trunk / tail lights that got me doing homework and finding everything I need to know about the Toyota X chassis. At first I taught the Mark II was identified as the generation kind of like what they do with the Supra or Volkswagen but like DangerousJzx110 said ... where is the Mark I ?? I knew what a cresta was but I didn't know it was part of the X chassis family until a few months ago lol 

I guess its just something to chat about when you're out on the town and at car meets... Who would want a car that every one has and knows ? Its a feeling of satisfaction having to correct people that assume what my car is. I should probably get a Lexus badge to throw people off ;)

#5 nextez

nextez

Lackey

• 22 posts
    • Time Online: 9d 19h 28m 10s
  • Car:-/-

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

Just debadge and say its a camry :P
On the subject of Toyota Mark I - there once was Toyota Corona (FR layout), which then had a 'spin-off' in late 60s/early 70s called Corona Mark II.
Corona then eventually became FF (makes for a decent daily in MT variant), Mark II dropped the 'corona' part, sportier Chaser and luxurious Cresta appeared out of it later. Why such great naming scheme - ask Toyota.
I remember some of old Jap Toyota catalogues and I think I've seen some copies online recently about the first gen Chaser, one of which came as a 2dr hardtop...that thing is amazing and also near impossible to obtain (I've seen a couple so far on 'special membership' auctions for prohibitive prices in millions of Yen

Edited by nextez, 06 March 2018 - 05:46 PM.

#6 nitrous36

nitrous36

a.k.a the chaser

• 80 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:57 PM

Super camry 

#7 FillerNootch

FillerNootch

Lackey

• 22 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 7h 5m 40s
  • Car:Mark II

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:56 AM

Just debadge and say its a camry :P

hahaha i'm going to have to try that one  :shoutbeer:

#8 Sammyboi

Sammyboi

Bagman

• Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter
  • 137 posts
    • Time Online: 10d 8h 47m 14s
  • Car:JZX100 Mark II

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:42 AM

And getting a mark ii or a cresta badged as a chaser isnt even the worst of it. Most of my not so close friends call my car soarer and it doesnt even resemble it in anyway..

#9 nitrous36

nitrous36

a.k.a the chaser

• 80 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:23 AM

MY friend saw a few youtube videos and all he knows is chaser. Despite seeing just as many featuring mark IIs. Something about the Chaser. I can admit it is a more attractive name lol. Especially for a car thats appropriately fast. :D

#10 Indelible

Indelible

Godfather

• Forum Moderator Moderators
  • 4298 posts
    • Time Online: 447d 15h 38m 43s
  • Car:slow one

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

Mine got called a proton yesterday ;)