Welcome to JZX World Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JZX World Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of JZX World Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

JZX100 manual conversion and Chaser vs. Mark II

Best Answer Indelible, 10 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

all driveline is the same between both and interior too if same series (eg both s1 or both s2) mainly just exterior is different

and if paying someone to do a manual conversion for you it would probably cost similar all up to buying a car already manual

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 W XXVII

W XXVII

Lackey

• Standard member Members
  • 2 posts
    • Time Online: 28m 24s
  • Car:Daihatsu Charade L251

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Hey everyone from JZX world! I've been looking for possible second cars that I could buy in the future, and I've settled on either the Mark II or Chaser JZX100. But are there any significant mechanical differences between the cars? From what I've been reading the differences are small like different panels, lights, interior trim etc. Also, would it be cheaper to buy a manual car, or buy an auto and convert to manual? The average price for a decent manual Chaser JZX100 is $15k-16k in Australia, but autos can be imported or bought locally for as low as $10k. If the manual conversion in total would be cheaper, how much would it cost for parts and labor? I'm 17 and my mechanical knowledge isn't great so if it's too hard I would probably pay someone to do it. Thanks in advance!

#2 Indelible

Indelible

Godfather

• Forum Moderator Moderators
  • 4278 posts
    • Time Online: 438d 13h 17m 22s
  • Car:slow one

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:07 PM   Best Answer

all driveline is the same between both and interior too if same series (eg both s1 or both s2) mainly just exterior is different

and if paying someone to do a manual conversion for you it would probably cost similar all up to buying a car already manual

#3 nitrous36

nitrous36

a.k.a the chaser

• 79 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 18h 32m 42s
  • Car:Ford

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:55 PM

If I remember right, the trans tunnel where the shifter sits are slightly different between the auto and manual. So some cutting may be involved.

I think with all the necessary tools, an experienced helping hand, 3 days to work undisturbed and you could pull it off. The important part is having someone knowledgeable and all the parts needed at hand to go in.

#4 MrPyro89

MrPyro89

Lackey

• 17 posts
    • Time Online: 5d 16h 13m 32s
  • Car:Jzx100 Chaser

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

I had imported my jzx100 chaser last year for around $15,000 drive away which is a auto, i had lost a fair few car at auction the were going for up near $20,000 landed and complied that were automatics, the prices are starting to rise for jzx's, but i am sure if you are patient you will find some good deals out there!

#5 Genuine ROTA

Genuine ROTA

Underboss

• Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter
  • 1004 posts
    • Time Online: 82d 12h 19m 16s
  • Interests:I like to do things
  • Car:I drive a car
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

I agree with Indel on this. Save up and get a manual if you can. If you get an auto and want to convert it, with parts and the such plus installation you would have spent just as much as buying a factory manual any ways.

#6 nextez

nextez

Lackey

• 17 posts
    • Time Online: 7d 15h 19m 22s
  • Car:-/-

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

Defo better to get a manual - just eliminates the headache/costs if you don't have all the means to do it and if you pay someone wheres the guarantee they do it properly?

On the subject of patience and good deals - looking at the last 12 weeks of iauc stats - the lowest price for a decent chaser was ~ 800,000 ¥. A good example for such price can take up to 6 months to find. Again, that depends on your definition of decent (150KM odometer and below, no replaced/heavily repaired panels, factory manual, grade 4 - those are my definition). Factor in whatever expenses your importer will require and that should be an estimate.

#7 W XXVII

W XXVII

Lackey

• 2 posts
    • Time Online: 28m 24s
  • Car:Daihatsu Charade L251

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses, looks like I'll have to save a bit more for a manual. Which importing companies would you guys recommend? Iron Chef Imports seems really good.

#8 Genuine ROTA

Genuine ROTA

Underboss

• Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter
  • 1004 posts
    • Time Online: 82d 12h 19m 16s
  • Interests:I like to do things
  • Car:I drive a car
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

Iron chef are one of the better ones. Do not recommend Top Secret.

#9 MrPyro89

MrPyro89

Lackey

• 17 posts
    • Time Online: 5d 16h 13m 32s
  • Car:Jzx100 Chaser

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:12 PM

I used Iron Chef Imports (Troy) there can be moments where there is minimal contact but i can vouch that they do find you nice clean tidy cars! Top Secret imports i caught out a few times telling me that they had done one thing, then a week later i find out that they had not done what they said was already done.

#10 mickyjzx100

mickyjzx100

Lackey

• 12 posts
    • Time Online: 5d 7h 47m 55s
  • Car:S15

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

Iron chef are one of the better ones. Do not recommend Top Secret.

What if you’re getting a car complianced from them? Are there any other workshops for compliancing in Sydney? I know someone who recently imported a vehicle and had a horrendous experience regarding compliancing by Top Secret..